Peanutty African Chickpea Stew
Nutrition Highlights(per serving)
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||43%|
|Total Sugars 13g|
|Includes 2g Added Sugars||4%|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Prep10 min, Cook25 min
Servings4 (2 cups each)
This meatless stew is loaded with nutrients and provides a boost of flavor that will leave you full and satisfied for hours.
Spices like ginger, cumin, and cayenne pepper pair well with a creamy peanut butter base. Sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and kale provide filling fiber and blood pressure-lowering potassium, vitamins, and antioxidants.
This African chickpea stew recipe is quick and easy to make so you can have dinner on the table 45 minutes or less.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15-ounce) low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15-ounce) low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- Chopped peanuts (for chopping)
- Cilantro (for chopping)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, celery, and sweet potato and cook, stirring, until onion and celery are softened.
- Stir in vegetable stock, peanut butter, ginger, cumin, and cayenne. Mix well. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, and kale.
- Turn heat to low and simmer, covered, until kale is wilted and sweet potato is soft, about 20 minutes.
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
Use all natural peanut butter, preferably with no added salt.
Use crunchy peanut butter if you prefer more texture.
If you like a thinner stew (more like a soup), increase vegetable stock to 1 1/2 cups.
Be sure to use low-sodium or no added salt chickpeas and tomatoes to keep sodium in check.
Cooking and Serving Tips
Serve this stew with a warm piece of whole grain bread or naan and a side salad for a balanced, plant-based meal.
Store stew in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Video: African Peanut Stew
Grilled Chicken and Pepper Salad
No-Bake Mini Heart Cakes
How to Save on Closing Costs
15-minute outdoor workout
Men Velvet Blazer Outfits-17 Ideas on How to Wear Velvet Blazer
Step-By-Step DIY Neutral Eye Makeup
Not just consumers facing pain
How to Muck out a Stall With Shavings
Update: CDC Announces Major Changes to Zika Protocol
5 MUST-READ TIPS FOR PLANNING A WEDDING
MS Cog-Fog or Magazine Syndrome
How to Pack for a Trip to Rio de Janeiro
How to Be Happy in a Recession
10 Questions with SCREAM QUEENS Costume Designer Lou Eyrich